Sunday, March 18, 2007

From Boyhood, to Manhood, to the Father-hood

As a boy growing up in the inner-city, I was always secure in my ability to survive. I knew that I could handle myself in a fight if things got hairy, and if things just plain got out of hand, I was confident in my ability to quickly put serious distance between me and calamity. So, while I had character enough to stand fast in the face of adversity, I had sense enough to flee even faster in the face of danger. This standard sufficed for almost twenty years; then, I became a man.

As a man facing the trials and tribulations of the world, and then the Army, I had to adjust my standard of survival. As a man it is not enough to survive. The character of a man has need of a higher standard; you must not only stand in the face of adversity, but you must be able to overcome your personal desires for safety and meet danger head on, at times in spite of the distinct possibility of disaster and even certain death. This lofty and venerable standard sufficed for nearly a decade; then, I became a father.

As a father…I no longer care for my own survival or personal safety. On behalf of my children, I wage a relentless vigil against adversity. I am the response to danger. I would give them the food from my mouth, the clothes from my back, and the blood from my veins; I eagerly and joyfully give up my life for them. It is the most awesome role I have ever been given. Imagine what I feel when I come to the realization that I cannot protect them or even meet all their needs.

I am not strong enough, not wise enough, not brave enough, not durable enough; I am just not enough. Though I would refuse them nothing, everything I have to give, even my life, is insufficient to guarantee their provision. Only God is sufficient. So, what is this role God has given me, and why has He given it to me?

It is my job as their father to demonstrate love of God. In the sacrifices I make for them, seeking God’s path instead of my own, I demonstrate not only the faith and love I have in the Lord, but I also give my children a small glimpse of His love and faithfulness. In seeking Him and demonstrating that He is the Lord my God, my shield and my strength, the author of my life and the provider of my salvation, I am giving my children that which they need most: fear of God.

If you fear God, you need fear nothing else.

3 comments:

Marie said...

so if God knows what you can handle, he gave you this role because he knows that you are strong, wise, brave and durable enough to fulfill your role, which is to show the girls that you are not strong, wise, brave and durable enough to do the things that only God can do? That's kind of a braing twister. Am I understand correctly?

p.s. it would have been funnier if you started off with "As a boy growing up in the hood,..." :))

Grandma said...

I think rather it is that God knows what you can handle, so He gave you this role because He knows that you would recognize that whatever you have in yourself will never be enough and that you will rely on him for whatever you lack. Just a thought...

The Father knows best. said...

God gave me my role because that role is a blessing and He is a loving and generous God, not because of any ability that I have.

God knows that it’s not about strength, wisdom, bravery, or durability...or intelligence, good looks, education, popularity, money, fame, career, or even happiness. It’s about faith. He asked me to have faith, and then He asked me to demonstrate ... no ... to live that faith for my children.

Do I have that faith in me? No, not on my own, I don’t. I have to rely on God for even that. God made it clear that if we walk in His ways, heed His word, and if we call on Him daily, He will provide. That is what he wants our children to see. God wants our children to see us submit when we are at our strongest as well as when we are at our weakest.

It is our role first to submit to God, that first role becomes even more important when we are further blessed with children.