Tuesday, March 6, 2007

In the Beginning...

On this, the maiden voyage of our blog, it is probably prudent to lay a foundation for future blog activity. I’m not exactly certain what direction the blog will take or how I intend to moderate it, but I guess it would be a good idea to at least identify the basic subject matter (incase that hasn’t already become apparent) and some basic ground rules for participation.

This blog will be devoted to glorifying God through the exploration of His holy word and “E-fellowship” (if that didn’t at least make you smirk, you might want to find a different blog). Seriously, I believe that through the Bible, God has provided the answers to all the important questions in life. While I have no intention of attempting to prove that to anyone (figure it out on your own…after all, it’s your faith), I hope to at least offer a venue in which we can honestly test the idea.

In fact, I hope to test everything (Philippians 4:8, 1 John 4:1, Thessalonians 5:21).

The truth can withstand all honest scrutiny, so all arguments are welcome. This segues nicely into the appropriate behavior portion of our opening guidance.

I will say simply “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” (Galatians 5:14), but be careful not to allow anyone’s personal self-loathing to be used as the impetus or rationalization for any sort of attack or retaliation. Give the benefit of the doubt, ask for clarification, respond objectively and rationally, and if all else fails…shake the dust from your sandals as you disengage.

When all else fails, I will reserve the right to subdue belligerence. If an idea cannot be expressed civilly, then it is likely that the idea need not be expressed. While censorship is not the preferred method, I am confident it will suffice as a last resort. Ideas alone will never be suppressed; the truth is quite capable of triumphing in the face of all manner of ignorance. While I will attempt to humbly shoulder the responsibility of objectively moderating discussions, I readily accept the scrutiny of participants in regards to my conduct, and I will attempt to address all queries and complaints related to that conduct.

I’m not sure what else needs to be addressed, but I will attempt to address what needs to be addressed when it needs to be addressed.

Well, may the Lord guide these discussions for the purpose of glorifying His name and revealing the Truth, so that those with eyes might see and those with ears might hear.

Bless us with faith.

No comments: