Thursday, July 19, 2007

Leadership

I am the head of my household. God said so. So, my wife and I submit to God and play by His rules…as best we can.

I didn’t always agree with God on this issue. I believed the role of the head of the household was to be shared/shouldered equally by both my wife and me. To my surprise, my wife set me straight on this issue.

She told me, “There cannot be two Captains of the same ship.” It does not serve to have two Captains, but one Captain and one First Officer is a proven formula.

I know what some folks are probably asking: “Why not make her Captain?” Refer to the opening statement referencing our submission to God…then read the Bible.

As Captain of the USS Marriage, I first trust in my God, then I work with and rely on my First Officer, and I pledge my very life to the wellbeing of the ship, the crew, and any personnel we pick up along the way (that’s children for the slow readers). My First Officer pledges to first trust in God and to follow and support my leadership for the wellbeing of the ship, the crew, and any personnel we pick up along the way.

It takes a lot of sacrifice and a lot of trust from both of us, and there is no room for either of us to doubt the commitment or effort of the other.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

hooray for picking up personnel along the way. if only they could learn to mop the floors faster.