Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Less Self Equals Selfless

It's about as hard to post to this blog as it is to read my Bible. I have so many other things I'd rather do. Don't get me wrong, I really want to grow my faith and my life in a manner that glorifies the Lord, and I want this blog to grow and to help spread that glory, but I am so weak.

Reading the Bible and posting to the blog both seem really, really simple. I constantly ask myself, "How hard can it be?" It's easy to play video games. It's easy to pursue a degree. It's easy to manage my career? Why is it so hard to read my Bible?

Reading my Bible serves something greater than me. Posting to this blog serves something greater than me. My video games, my degree, my career, and even my fitness often serve only me. It's much easier and seemingly more rewarding to serve myself.

Also, I don't need help serving myself, but without support it's near impossible to keep plugging selflessly along. If I don't have support, I am much more likely to fall into the easier, more self oriented pursuits.

So, it's not hard to read my Bible or post to the blog, but when left to my own devices it is hard to put my self on the back burner. Sometimes, I can be so selfish.

4 comments:

Marie said...

i'd almost given up on checking the blog. i'm glad to see that you posted. maybe if there were pictures in the bible it would be easier to read. haha. i suspect that is a really bad joke...

can't help you out at all on this one since i am getting more and more away from God. just know that i do actually read this, so your efforts here aren't a waste.

The Father knows best. said...

Actually, I think I'd like to have the Bible on CD so I could listen to it in the car on the way to work. It would be just like reading it.

Marie said...

i can understand that. that's how i finally got through Pride and Prejudice

Marie said...

the cheapest way i found to listen to audio books is to get an ipod or equivalent and then go to audible.com. they have a new member deal where you pay $7.50 per month for the first three months ($15 a month after that) and you get a "free" audio book a month. you also get discounts on all their audio books and a free subscription to the wall street journal or new york times daily audio edition. not sure about the cheapest way to get CDs. Oh! except maybe you could check out your local library. the only downside to that is that you have to return it. but it's still a good money-saving option.