Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Greatest Gift of All

I got a dollhouse for Christmas. I know, it seems like an odd gift for an adult male in his thirties, but it is probably my favorite gift. I also got some tools for the project (big manliness bonus) and a few books for direction and education; it’s a complete package. Now, I get to build a dollhouse for and with my daughters. Do you see why it’s my favorite?

In a word: Promise.

It has promise for quality time with my children, promise for giving them an idea of how much I love them, promise for valuable lessons in patience and discipline, and promise for smiles, hugs, kisses, giggles, and hours of fun. There’s promise for more than just Christmas day. There’s promise that they’ll eventually understand that my life is for them.

But, what if the box stays in storage and collects dust as I devote myself to my career, watch my team in the big game or my favorite shows, or explore my self through other hobbies? Would the promise diminish? No, I would.

We have received the greatest gift of all: a promise of forgiveness and life everlasting. We only need to turn from our careers, our televisions, and especially ourselves, dust it off, and embrace it…for more than just Christmas day.

Embrace and celebrate the grace of God…all year round.

No comments: