Monday, January 28, 2008

CHICKEN WHAT?


I’d love to say that I was itching to write, but I’m pretty sure I was just plain itching.

I came down with chickenpox. Apparently I had never had chickenpox as a child, and I was never vaccinated either. Ironically, I caught them from an adult who had had chickenpox as a child and was experiencing a recurrence or something known as shingles.

The good news is that I was able to spend about two weeks at home with my family. The bad news is that the first week was all blisters, itching, headaches, fevers, chills, and abdominal pain.

I’ve recovered quite a bit of lost Bible reading, and I have played numerous games with my children (Nerts). My mother-in-law spent about eight days with us; she helped out a lot and the children love having Grandma around (I have no idea how we will go back to life without her). Also, amidst all the suffering and turmoil, I answered the phone in pain to discover I had been promoted at work and received a raise. Praise God!

Anyway, there were no complications with my chickenpox, and except for a few scabs and scars there should be little physical evidence of the event. Our family is closer, however, and we definitely have a greater appreciation for our health.

So, as always, we thank God…even for the chickenpox.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

what a handsome man i have. lucky me!

Grandma said...

I thought that was pretty decent of you to not mention that it was your mother-in-law who gave you the chicken pox nor to imply that her 8 days there were atonement for the havoc she caused! They were pretty fun, too!