Friday, February 29, 2008

Freedom of Religion?

Not long ago I had a fairly lengthy discussion with a guy who felt religion was the root of all mankind’s problems. His belief in the ill effects of religion was the foundation from which his life’s decisions were made, the root of his moral code, and his personal justification for being an atheist.

A few weeks ago I read a story about how a church’s tax exempt status was threatened because the Pastor endorsed a candidate using church stationary. That very day I found an article in which the National Organization of (or maybe for) Women (N.O.W.) endorsed a candidate quite openly and officially, yet their tax exempt status was unthreatened. (I assumed I obviously did not have all the details, so I wrote to the ACLU and inquired…no response as of yet.)

I recently had a discussion, at work of all places, about the social and/or biological origins of homosexuality. Very early in the discussion it was noted that the woman representing the biological side "believed" that homosexuality was rooted in the genetic foundation. As we talked further, it became apparent that almost every point, explanation, or hypothesis she presented was hinged on that "belief."

It is not uncommon to have a person take up a position or make a decision on an issue and then indicate that the decision or position for the other side of the issue is “religious” and unconstitutional. Very often, even though I seldom use religious arguments, simply because I do not assume the mainstream view, I am asked about my religion. When I indicate my belief in God, suddenly the discussion ends as if I was not worth talking to.

It would seem that freedom of religion does not include theism.

No comments: