Thursday, February 7, 2008

In one year

Since the year started fresh, my wife and I started fresh in our efforts to read the Bible from cover to cover again. Instead of just reading so many pages a day, we're using a plan that has us reading a bit from four separate sections (One Year Bible, try to ignore all the advertising). I'm not sure what the purpose is behind reading it sectioned, but it does offer a different approach.

One day my wife and I were talking about the issue, and it occurred to me that I don't recall reading anything in the Bible about a Bible reading quota or schedule. God instructed us to read His word daily and meditate on it daily, but He didn't quantify it with, "so as to get through the entire Bible at least once through the year."

Now, I believe that the size of the Bible is small enough that it is more than possible to get through it, cover to cover, at least once a year with reasonably minimal effort. I also believe that to undertake such an endeavor is a wonderful and purposeful demonstration of our commitment to understanding the word of the Lord and developing a relationship with the Lord. I also believe, however, that more important than getting through the Bible in a year is getting into the Bible everyday.

That said, from my experience, if you read a reasonable portion of the Bible on a daily basis, you will get through the entire Bible in approximately a year (give or take a month or two or three depending on your reading style). The biggest trouble I think most people have is looking at the peak of the mountain and thinking, “I’ve got to climb that?”

Keep your eyes on today and take one step at a time, and that’s one step closer to God.

No comments: