Saturday, April 5, 2008

Narrow Path Exit 3:16

I got an audio Bible for Christmas, and I recently threw caution to the wind and stored the CDs in my car. Now, I listen to the Bible on my way to and from work.

It’s actually pretty cool.

If I wasn’t listening to the Bible, that’s almost an hour and a half (sometimes more) of cursing my neighbor for driving too slow, cutting me off, not using blinkers, tailgating, and other stuff that I’m sure I’m typically cursed for when I drive. Now, instead of being angry that people are driving like I do, I focus on the word of God. The only bad part is that if I try taking notes I end up driving into the bay, and if I underline significant passages I end up with a CD that plays nothing but the genealogy of Gad over and over and over.

At least “Raca” is slowly being weeded out of my driving vocabulary. (Matt 5:22)

I definitely prefer reading my Bible, and actual reading is definitely a more complete and engaging experience. While I don’t think listening (while driving anyway) can adequately substitute for reading, I find that having listened to several chapters earlier during my drive, when/if the opportunity to read later arises, I tend to feel absolved of the responsibility to actually crack the book. My usual excuses for not reading my Bible are bolstered by the fact that I listened and meditated…at 70 mph…right through a red light.

My Bible CDs are a stumbling block…how did that happen?

I definitely need a Savior.

Anyway, it is an awesome gift, and I think my car is a good place for it; it’s being put to good use. I do feel that I still need to take active responsibility for my relationship with God and actually read. Besides, I noticed that I haven’t blogged on the Word in a while. Also, it’s time to start Bible studies with our oldest…but that’s another post.

No comments: