Saturday, April 26, 2008

Working as a Mother

Wife and mother is a vocation.

The duties and responsibilities of a wife and mother are not part-time activities; they are a full-time endeavor requiring dedication and commitment to build the skills necessary to be successful. Similar to how one might go to school and/or focus time and efforts toward a career discipline, even more so a wife and mother must dedicate her life to experience the fullest measure of success in her home.

I am confused at the wider range of skills, higher degree of competence, and more demanding and strenuous labor required and demonstrated in my wife compared to my female co-workers, yet my co-workers bear the term “working” while my wife gets branded as “stay-at-home.” Then, to add insult to injury, in spite of the incredible disparity in dedication and endeavor on behalf of the family, the term “mother” seems equally and somewhat arbitrarily applied.

I also think it’s interesting, that we would never encourage would be accountants, doctors, or lawyers to actively pursue other endeavors that would undoubtedly require them to sacrifice time away from their primary studies. You would never hear anyone counseling young budding professionals or tradesmen that they could divert their attentions toward competing pursuits and still effectively master their disciplines and achieve at their highest potential.

In the above instances, dedication and commitment mean 100% of your focus and attention; sacrifice other things, but not that which you are dedicated and committed to. It stands to reason that the increasingly automatic practice of pushing family and children to the back burner indicates that our culture values career above family and/or children.

It’s debatable whether we’re looking at the chicken or the egg, and obviously some very devoted mothers have no choice but to do additional work outside the home, but it is clear that straying from God’s path has clearly inhibited (sometimes prohibited) the recognition of wife and mother not only as a vocation, but as a worthwhile vocation. Some would argue that women have benefited, but it is unarguable that the family and children have not.

Lord, protect our children.

(I can’t possibly credibly address every aspect of this issue, partly because I have neither the time nor the wisdom, but mainly because I am not a woman. Here’s a blog post my wife showed me that goes much further to challenge today’s mis-understanding of women.)

5 comments:

Candace/Chloe said...

I found your blog via "Welcome to Granny's House". Your straight-forward, no-nonsence, Biblical views remind me of Voddie Baucham! I love it!

Great post! Certainly the world devalues motherhood as much as it devalues children! When will we see that God's word and His principles stand the test of time and that there is magnificent beauty in His created order! Our obsession with "relevancy" has blinded us to Truth! Thanks for sharing your insights!

Soli Deo Gloria!

Elspeth said...

You, sir, are a man who "gets it" and your wife and family are blessed to have you. Thanks for the link, by the way.

Unknown said...

Your thoughts were interesting to me since this topic has been on my mind constantly for the past three and a half years. I don't find anything wrong with the term "stay-at-home" because I don't think it inherently implies that the woman isn't working. I've never thought so anyway. But I do remember when I was still in the military, back when I knew I was still too selfish to have kids, that my supervisor mentioned that his (stay-at-home) wife got a part time job. I remarked "oh. she got a second job?" A look of confusion washed over him and then a chuckle and then "umm.. I guess. yeah, a second job." and then I preceded (with way too much emotion) to explain that it most certainly was a second job. But maybe that's because I am a woman and maybe he was just surprised that someone besides he and his wife, thought she was actually doing something worth while. And then more recently, a co-worker of mine (to tie nicely to your argument, also an accountant), who is 5 months pregnant, is planning on coming back to work when the baby is 6 weeks old. Her partner (umm... as in partner of the firm not significant other) joked that she shouldn't take any maternity leave because they needed her so badly. And I'm thinking "what about what the baby needs?" I was totally shocked at how inappropriate it was. And then you have me. Where my manager and partner seem to be bending over backwards to keep me, allowing me to work part-time so I can stay home with my son. It's like corporate (although I work for a firm) America is so confused about how they should treat working moms. We've become such a "productive" nation that I think a lot of companies couldn't survive without woman. So in a way, stay-at-home moms are bad for business.

The Father knows best. said...

Well, I guess that’s the debate. Who needs a mother more: the firm or the family? With both making adamant arguments, it falls to the mother to discern which is more important and should rightfully secure her devotion.

While it would seem the family wins the argument hands down, our culture’s misplaced priorities leave many women wishing they could have both a healthy, loving family and a successful, lucrative career. We all admit there’s no putting the genie back in the bottle, but we seem to have trouble coming to terms with the fact that wishing doesn’t make it so.

The point of my post is that in order to have one or the other, you must be wholly devoted to one…or the other. When you attempt to devote yourself to both, you are accepting a lesser standard for one in order to have the other.

Are you accepting a lower standard in your career so that you can have a family, or are you accepting a lower standard in your family so you can have a career? In either case, which is important, which do you love, and why isn’t that answer the same?

The Father knows best. said...

It is not necessarily a sin for a mother to work outside the home.

In case it hasn’t been clear, the competing masters are not the family and the firm, but God and man, respectively.

If you seek and submit to the will of God, serve Him as your first and only Lord and Master, and His call for you to serve your family leads you to work outside the home, then what can any man say against you?

But woe unto them (yep, I’m goin’ Biblical on ya) who seek their own will and call it God’s righteousness.