Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Brotherly Hate?

I read Gen 4 today. I am always saddened to read the account of the two brothers. It didn’t have to be that way.

While it was Cain’s fault that his offering was not pleasing to God, he didn’t listen to God’s guidance and fix the problem. Instead of adjusting his own heart and submitting to God, he murdered his own brother. Did he actually think murdering Abel was going to solve anything, or did he just want to hurt God?

It reminds me of a lot of the violence of the inner city where I grew up. There are specific, proven, and available ways to improve your situation in life, but violence and crime are often chosen instead, and then others are blamed for the situation and the choices that led to the situation. It doesn’t have to be that way.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

I agree that it doesn't have to be that way. You have to choose the higher road.
I often wonder about Adam and Eve's other kids. Sure, they had Seth later, but surely they must have had others and some daughters...
I think if we needed to know about them, though, the Bible would tell us.

The Father knows best. said...

I agree.

It's obvious that they had plenty of other children, and their children had plenty of children, but we know enough to come to that rational conclusion without God spelling it out for us.