Thursday, October 18, 2007

Creation

I read the rest of Genesis 1 today. At first I was a bit “put out” by the task, but I prayed and dived right in. Genesis 1 is such a great chapter. I think I kind of feel like it’s a drag sometimes because almost every time I start to read the Bible, I start in Genesis 1. Consequently, I have read Genesis 1 about a billion times, and it has come to represent an arduous and seldom accomplished journey (I’ve only read Revelation 22 like twice…ok, 1.5 times).

When I read Genesis, I always wonder how God communicated the beginning of everything to a man to write it down. Did He dictate the words? Did He draw him a picture using crayons, so man could understand? Maybe, He showed him, and let the Holy Spirit do the rest.

If God showed you the creation of everything, do you think you could capture it and retell it? Could you adequately express the majesty and wonder of God’s power and all of His creation?

Do you think people would believe you?

3 comments:

Joanna said...

if God said that i could do it then, yes, i could and people would believe God, not me. if i tried to do it alone then no, i would fail miserably. check out prime example number 1: muhammad and prime example number 2: joseph smith.

Anonymous said...

I do think that definitely the writer was helped by the Holy Spirit - how else could you do it, unless to invent your own version, as Jo pointed out. I think that writing down Genesis was easier (relatively speaking)than writing Revelation, because John had no context or experience with some of the things he was seeing and could only describe them with things he knew, years and years away from the technology we know today or know is possible in the future. They were a little closer to that beginning when Genesis was written. It's much easier to picture a perfect world in a garden than the cataclysmic end. But just the fact that we have it recorded how it all began is rather remarkable. God wanted us to know.

The Father knows best. said...

As for ease of task…I guess it all depends on how God conveyed the message. Dictation would be easy enough for either author, Genesis or Revelation, but if He showed it to them…wow…I’d probably shake, stutter, cry, and pee myself…all at once…for three days…before I could even speak, let alone write it down.

Regardless of how God conveyed the message of creation, it’s a Spirit-filled miracle that man was able to capture the essence of the event at all. Yet, people still complain about it, and many choose Muhammad’s god, Joseph Smith’s god, or themselves over the one true God. In other words, there are those who will rebel and turn away no matter what.